Moving with a big family – what to expect
Get Your Free Moving Quote
"*" indicates required fields
Moving with a big family is anything but a simple task. The complexity of orchestrating such a move, even with the assistance of the reliable movers and packers Bakersfield, or some other city offers, cannot be understated. In essence, several individuals with different needs have to be taken care of at once, which is always a problem. However, this journey can also be a rewarding adventure for the entire family when approached with thorough preparation and a positive mindset. Therefore, if this is something your family is about to do, take some time to learn the strategies that will make a big difference.
Planning and organization are the preconditions for a smooth move
Moving with a big family requires an exceptional level of planning and organization to ensure everything goes well. However, it is advisable to start early. This process begins with understanding the scope of the move, from the volume of belongings to the individual needs of each family member. Establishing a detailed plan sets the stage for a less stressful and more efficient moving experience.
These are the things to consider when organizing your move:
- Create a detailed timeline. Outline every phase of the move, from packing to arrival in your new home.
- Inventory your belongings. Catalog items room-by-room to keep track of what you have and what might need special attention during the move.
- Assign roles. Delegate tasks based on age and ability, ensuring everyone contributes.
- Research moving companies. Look for reputable movers, particularly those experienced in handling large family relocations.
- Arrange necessary documents. Gather birth certificates, school records, medical records, and other essential documents.
- Plan your packing strategy. Decide what to pack first, what to donate, and what to dispose of.
- Set a budget. Estimate costs for moving services, packing materials, travel expenses, and any additional services.
- Prepare an essentials kit. Pack a bag for each family member with items they’ll need during the first few days after the move.
- Notify important parties. Inform schools, employers, and service providers about your move.
- Plan for pets and plants. Make arrangements for their safe transport and accommodation.
Consider how much money you’ll need for this big task
A successful move, especially with a large family, hinges on careful budgeting. Understanding and managing the financial aspects can significantly reduce the stress associated with relocating. Account for every potential expense of this move, such as obtaining services like those local movers Kern County offers, and purchasing packing supplies. This.
How to calculate the costs of moving with a big family
Determining your moving costs involves more than just accounting for the movers’ fees. Start by getting quotes from various moving companies, to compare prices and services. Remember to include additional costs such as insurance for your belongings, packing materials, and potential storage fees. If your move involves long distances, factor in travel expenses like fuel, accommodation, and food. Don’t forget to consider the cost of setting up new utilities and services in your new home.
Money-saving tips to have in mind
To keep your moving expenses within budget, explore ways to reduce costs. Decluttering is a strategy you can use to make the move cheaper. Namely, selling or donating items you no longer need can decrease the volume of goods to move and may even add a bit to your budget. Additionally, opt for recycled or free packing materials where possible. If feasible, consider packing and unpacking yourself instead of using full-service movers. For families with flexibility in their moving date, choosing off-peak times can result in lower rates from moving companies. Lastly, review your budget regularly to ensure you stay on track and make adjustments as needed.
The emotional impact of moving
The emotional journey of relocating with a big family is as significant as the physical move itself. Alongside organizing the logistics, such as considering packing services Bakersfield residents often rely on, there are the emotions of the family members to deal with.
Supporting children through the transition
Children, in particular, may find the change challenging. To make it easier for them, make them part of the moving process. That can mean letting them help decide on certain aspects or involving them in packing their belongings. Encourage open discussions about the move, allowing children to express their feelings and concerns. Maintain regular routines as much as possible to provide a sense of stability and familiarity. Moreover, reassure them by focusing on positive aspects of the move, such as making new friends or exploring new places.
Maintaining family harmony
To keep family harmony during a move, prioritize clear and frequent communication. Share information about the moving process, including what to expect from the moving day. Also, you should encourage family members to express their thoughts and feelings about the move. Plan for breaks and relaxation during the moving process to reduce stress. Keep in mind that each family member may cope differently, so be patient and understanding with one another. If one of the moving companies Kern County provides, is taking care of the logistics of the move for you, it’s a good idea to do things together as a family. It can help maintain a sense of unity and support during this transition.
Finding the right home for your big bunch
Selecting the ideal home for a large family is a task that requires thorough consideration of various factors. Whether you’re moving across town or arriving from afar with the help of Bakersfield long distance movers, finding a home that will be suitable for all your family members is extremely important. This entails not just considering the size and layout of the house but also evaluating the surrounding environment and its suitability for your family’s lifestyle.
When searching for the perfect home, keep these factors in mind:
- Size and space needs. Ensure there are enough bedrooms and bathrooms to comfortably accommodate your entire family.
- Functional layout. Look for a layout that suits your family’s lifestyle, such as open-plan living areas or multiple living spaces.
- School districts. Research the quality of local schools, especially if you have school-aged children.
- Neighborhood safety. Prioritize safe neighborhoods, particularly if you have younger children.
- Proximity to work and amenities. Consider the location’s convenience in terms of your commute and access to shopping, healthcare, and recreation.
- Outdoor space. If possible, choose a home with a yard or nearby parks for children to play.
- Storage solutions. With a big family, ample storage space is a must.
- Future growth. Consider whether the house can accommodate your family’s future needs.
- Local community services. Investigate the availability of community centers, libraries, and other family-friendly services.
- Transportation links. Easy access to public transportation can be a significant advantage.
Changing schools when moving with a big family
One of the most delicate items on your list for moving with a big family has to do with schools for your kids. It will require all your attention, so having residential movers Kern County residents recommend to take over the logistics of the move can be of tremendous help. However you choose to approach it, you must do this with utmost care.
Research schools before you move
Begin your search for new schools well in advance of your move. Use online resources, talk to locals, and, if possible, visit the schools to get a first-hand impression. Also, consider factors such as the school’s academic track record, extracurricular offerings, and the overall ethos that aligns with your children’s needs and personalities. Moreover, don’t hesitate to contact school administrations for enrollment procedures and requirements.
Preparing for the transition
Once you’ve selected a school, prepare your children for the transition. Discuss the change openly, focusing on positive aspects like new friends and opportunities. Obtain transcripts and other necessary documents from their current schools well ahead of time. If possible, arrange for your children to visit their new school before the move, allowing them to familiarize themselves with the new setting. It would be great if you could coordinate the moving schedule with the academic calendar to minimize disruption to your children’s education. Bear in mind that a well-planned educational transition can significantly ease your children’s adjustment to their new home and community.
Settling in – making the new house a home
After you and all your belongings have arrived in your new house, it’s time to make it a home where all of your family members will feel comfortable. To do this, you should do strategic unpacking and organization, as well as creating a cozy, welcoming atmosphere. Sometimes, storage Bakersfield solutions can be invaluable in managing this transition smoothly, especially when downsizing or waiting to set up larger spaces.
Unpacking everything and organizing it properly
Packing a whole house is a tedious task, but unfortunately, so is unpacking. The only upside to it is that you’ll probably have more time to do this. Start by prioritizing essential rooms such as bedrooms and the kitchen. Use a floor plan to decide the layout of furniture and belongings before they arrive. Also, involve family members in setting up their own spaces. That will help them feel settled and comfortable more quickly. Keep a list of where things are packed to avoid confusion and streamline the process.
Creating a comfortable environment
Making your new house feel like home can be very fun. Personalize your space by hanging family photos and decorating with familiar items. Moreover, establishing routine family activities can also help create a sense of normalcy. If you have items in storage somewhere, gradually introduce them to avoid cluttering the space immediately. Encourage each family member to set up a personal space where they feel relaxed and happy. Don’t forget that creating a home takes time, so be patient and allow everyone to adjust at their own pace.
You should keep in touch with old friends
Moving to a different city, or a different part of the big city often means leaving behind a network of friends and extended family. This can be particularly true in moves involving significant distances. For example, if you hired Delano CA movers to transfer you from Sacramento to this charming little town, you will not be able to see your friends as often. However, maintaining these existing relationships is important for one’s emotional stability and continuity. Here’s how you can make sure the connections you made so far in life remain strong:
- Have regular video calls. Schedule weekly or bi-weekly video calls with friends and family to stay updated on each other’s lives.
- Connect with friends and family on social media. Utilize social media platforms to share updates, photos, and messages.
- Make plans for visiting them. Arrange visits back to your old home, or invite friends and family to your new place.
- Write letters. Encourage children to write letters or emails to their friends, fostering a personal and meaningful connection.
- Share online activities. Engage in online games or watch movies together virtually.
- Think of your friends and family on special occasions. Remember to celebrate special occasions together, even if it’s through a video call.
- Blogging or vlogging. Share your new experiences in a blog or vlog, inviting friends to be a part of your new journey.
- Find community groups. Join online community groups from your previous location to stay in touch with local happenings.
- Write travel journals. Create and share travel journals or scrapbooks with friends and family, documenting your adventures in your new home.
Moving with a big family is doable and sometimes even fun
It is undeniable that moving with a big family is a logistical nightmare. However, with good planning, emotional adjustment, and financial considerations you can complete this complex journey with success. Bear in mind that even though the support of proficient professionals can be a huge game-changer, the task demands careful consideration, patience, and resilience. But the rewards of such an endeavor are manifold. A successful move lays the foundation for new experiences, growth, and memories that will enrich the family’s narrative for years to come.
How it Works
Contact Our Team
Reach out to our highly-proficient movers in Bakersfield by phone, email or using the contact form on our website.
Get a Free Estimate
Let us start planning and organizing your upcoming relocation by offering you a no-commitment moving quote.
Appreciate the Ease of your Move
Enjoy your moving day while Hansen’s Moving and Storage tackles all the challenges of your residential/commercial move.